North of England SPF
The North of England SPF brings together management and staff side representatives on strategic workforce issues across the three sub regions in the North; Yorkshire and Humber, North West and North East.
The North of England SPF is co-chaired by Charlie Carruth, Regional Organiser, UNISON and a management side chair (appointment to be confirmed).
To provide a modern partnership arena for an overarching confidential discussion and debate about the strategic issues affecting the NHS workforce.
In particular it will:
- Contribute trade union and employer perspectives to the development and implementation of policy
- Provide constructive comments on implementation at a formative stage
- Contribute ideas on the workforce implications of the implementation of policy
- Promote effective communications between partners, supporting the development of the Health and Wellbeing system in the North of England
- Promote good practice across the North of England
- Feed North of England views into national groups including Staff Council, the Social Partnership Forum and the Stakeholder Forum and to be the conduit for national feedback to the sub-regional SPFs
- Contribute to the strengthening of commissioning within the North of England
- To keep the patient at the centre of everything we do.
To enable effective operation of these partnership arrangements, the partners agree to recognise and respect each other’s roles and functions which are distinct but complementary.
The partners recognise that:
- NHS organisations have responsibility for implementing national policy
- Trade unions have a responsibility to represent and act in the interest of their members
- Other stakeholders will have views which will need to be taken into account
This partnership agreement is underpinned by shared values and common purpose. In particular, partners:
- have a shared commitment to continuous improvement, including access to high quality services and delivering value for money to the public
- believe the NHS should promote good practice in all areas of staff management, including equality and diversity, staff development and a commitment to security of employment
- agree that the NHS should take a collective approach to support staff that may be affected by service changes.
Principles for effective joint working
All partners recognise the importance of good formal and informal working relations, built on trust and shared responsibility, while still respecting difference.
All partners commit to adopt these principles in their dealings with each other:
- Mutual respect
- A positive and constructive approach
- Early discussion of emerging issues and maintaining dialogue on policy and priorities
- Openness, honesty and transparency in communications
- Where appropriate, confidentiality and agreed external positions
- Making the best use of resources.
The membership of the North of England SPF is as follows:
- Management Side
- Three Representatives from Clinical Commissioning Group Leadership.
- Three HR Director Lead Employers representing the North East, North West and Yorkshire and Humber areas.
- One HRD representing mental health trusts.
- Local Government Employers Organisation Representative.
- Commissioning support unit managing directors (x two).
- NHS England Director.
- North East, North West and Yorkshire and Humber Health Education England Managing Directors.
- Public Health England Director.
- NHS Trust Development Agency.
- Head of Engagement, NHS Employers.
- Staff Side - 15 Seats from recognised staff side organisations (a chair and a vice chair will be drawn from this group).
Key stakeholders will be routinely invited to the North of England NHS SPF meetings. These stakeholders may include:
- NHS Trust Development Agency Director – North.
- National SPF members
North of England SPF meetings are held twice a year, with short life task and finish groups formed as required for specific pieces of work. Members of the North SPF can access all papers for the meetings in the regional community area of the website.
UPDATE: Please note that regional SPF meeting dates for 2017 are still to be confirmed, and may still be subject to change. If you have anything you wish to be raised at the meetings or if you would like any further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For any information on the North of England SPF, or any sub-regional SPF’s, please contact:
North Engagement Team
2 Brewery Wharf
North Engagement Twitter: @NHSE_North
Tel: 0113 306 3000
Pam Johnson, retired Regional Head of Health for UNISON, Yorkshire and Humber talks partnership working
In this podcast, Pam reflects on her time as chair of North SPF and shares her views on partnership working.
Pam has a long history of activism within the Labour movement and within trade unions. During her time she worked in the North and London and eventually came back to Yorkshire. When working as part of the Social Partnership Forum, Pam put the skills she had developed heading up UNISON’s Learning and Organising Services Team to good use. She is a committed trade unionist, and an excellent strategist who is able to take a pragmatic approach whilst maintaining focus on how best to achieve what needs to be done.
- North SPF - Working in partnership to tackle the wicked issues
- Yorkshire & Humber SPF
- North East SPF
- North West SPF
- East of England SPF
- East Midlands SPF
- West Midlands SPF
- London SPF
- South East Coast SPF
- South Central SPF
- South West SPF
- Priority Areas
- Case Studies
- Pam Johnson podcast
- Priority Areas
- Case Studies
- Document Store
- Key Comms